Some tips and advices on what to do if you are spending Christmas and New Year in Lisbon.
Lisbon is always amazing at every time of the year! It is perfect to visit during Spring, with all the beautiful flowers blossom (in many gardens of the city and mainly in surrounding places like Sintra or Arrábida), Summer is hot and it is amazing to go the beach, to attend some beach parties and enjoy one of the top destinations in the world to take a deserved rest or finally have some fun.
You have decided to visit Lisbon during Christmas and New Year! So now, what to do?
Well, Lisbonhost has a couple of suggestions
Christmas in Lisbon
Even though here in Portugal we are strongly being affected by the austerity measures imposed by the government, there are still some charming Christmas decorations on the streets, worth taking a look at and admire.
* Liberty Avenue street – One of the most emblematic streets of Lisbon keeps the tradition of the special Christmas Decorations.
* Christmas Tree on the Commerce Square – A large, 28m high tree has been installed on the center of the Commerce square, adorned with beautiful lights and Christmas decorations
* Square Dom Pedro IV (Rossio) – Giant Ball with Christmas effects
* Obidos Christmas Village – Every year, during Christmas season, this beautiful village, near Lisbon, is transformed into a fairy tale with all the Noel characters present, including a dream Carousel, a Santa Claus House, the Ice Rink and Castle Ramp.
(Fatima and Obidos Tour)
* Pastries/Special dishes – Don’t miss out the specialities locals eat during this time. Among others: bolo rei, farturas, sonhos, fatias paridas, are “”must have”” and you will regret forever if you miss them As far as dishes, the most typical are with bacalhau (codfish), perú (turkey) and polvo (octopus).
(Lisbonhost walking tours in Lisbon feature all this places at this time of the year)
New Year´s celebration in Lisbon
Again, there are many options on this festive day. Many hotels hold their own parties, and most of the clubs/bars have special programmes for this night.
Here, we leave you with some free options:
* Fire works in Parque das Nações! – Really amazing and worth seeing it!
There are a couple of places that host outdoor parties:
* Cacilhas (Almada)
-22:00 David Antunes e Banda Residente do 5 para a meia noite
21:30 Performance by Delfins
Also some great options are the parties (free) taking place in the casinos
* Casino of Lisbon:
-0:30 Pedro Abrunhosa
-21:00 Wanda Stuart
-23:30 Aldo Lima
-2:00 Paulino Coelho
* Casino of Estoril:
-Cais do Sodre Funk connection
Hope you have a great time in Lisbon, and please, always feel free to ask any question of make any comment.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Follow us on facebook for the latest updates!